Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Compiling invalid arithmetic expressions and assuming a $

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gokusandwich
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Compiling invalid arithmetic expressions and assuming a $ Reply with quote

I've created a plug-in, called formSubmitLink. I attempted to invoke the plug-in like so:
Code:

{formSubmitLink action=$pathToSubmitFormTo
    name="my_link" value=1
    icon=$EASYWEAZE_PREFIX_TO_ADMIN_DIR/images/some-icon.png}
      a link{/formSubmitLink}

I made a mistake, though: I forgot to place quotes around the value for the icon attribute.

Now, obviously Smarty can't know that I intended to put quotes around that expression and that it's actually suppose to be a file path and not an arithmetic expression. However, I think Smarty may have done two things "wrong", when compiling this template:

1) Smarty should have realized that this is not a valid arithmetic expression; it should realize I'm trying to divide by a string value -- "images" in the first case. (Or, would that expression make sense in Smarty code? In PHP code, I don't believe that would make any sense. PHP would probably claim that "images" is an undefined constant and then claim that you cannot divide by a string.)

2) Consider a portion of the output produced when Smarty compiles that above Smarty-code snippet:
[php:1:d76bbc053a]
$this->_tag_stack[] = array(
'formSubmitLink',
array(
'action' => $this->_tpl_vars['pathToSubmitFormTo'],
'name' => 'my_link',
'value' => 1,
'icon' => $this->_tpl_vars['EASYWEAZE_PREFIX_TO_ADMIN_DIR']/$this->_tpl_vars['mages']/$this->_tpl_vars['ome']-$this->_tpl_vars['con']['png']));
[/php:1:d76bbc053a]
What it looks like, is, Smarty assumes that the first character after a division symbol ( / ), is a $ sign. As you can see, it tries to divide by a template variable $mages; it just kind-of ignores the letter i of images.

The error that I ended up seeing, by the time this problem reared its head, was a PHP-produced "Division by zero" error (because the template variable mages was empty), which made the source of the issue a little bit difficult to locate.

This is a bit of a tricky situation, and I'm not entirely sure how Smarty should be expected to react. This issue may require a bit of discussion.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug? Lets just say that it is undefined behaviour and that fixing it in a regex-engine like Smarty probably isn't trivial. I appreciate the difficulty you must of went through to track down your error but for such a low frequency issue, it doesn't seem very much worth addressing to me. Of course, that is just my take on it Smile
gokusandwich
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I located the problem rather quickly... Perhaps out of luck. I Smile

I would agree that this is not high priority. Perhaps, if I am lacking more important things to do, sometime I will try to see how difficult it would be to fix this problem (or these problems). Might be fun to hack on Smarty...

Thanks anyway. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: